Sunday, April 23, 2006

Earth Day, PDA's, and President Bush

Hey blogger buddies, I didn't post yesterday, because I was celebrating "Earth Day". As important as it is to save our environment and be socially active in preserving our national resources, I wanted to take a day just with me and friends to celebrate the planet we are living on, and not beat up anybody who doesn't do likewise. It was a beautiful day here in Ohio, we had rain the night before and it was overcast, but the air was crisp and fresh, and it was warm enough to be outside and enjoy the spring weather.
There is a park in NE Ohio I like to go to, called Mill Creek Park. Mill Creek Park encompasses approximately 2,600 acres, 20 miles of drives, and 15 miles of foot trails, and a rare collection of gardens, streams, lakes, woodlands, meadows and wildlife for all to enjoy. Visitors will find a wide range of recreational opportunities such as hiking, biking, picnicking, boating, Par-3, or championship golf, tennis, sand volleyball and more. Universally accessible trails, fishing pier, playground and picnic areas are located throughout the Park. Cabins and pavilions for group events are available for rental year-round.
I try to get here as often as I can to relax, meditate, and enjoy nature. Yesterday, myself, two of my gay friends and one str8 girlfriend, took our bikes and picnic lunch and spent the day in the park. We hiked, rode bikes, and just enjoyed each others company, while paying homage to Earth Day, and the blessings we each have. Overall, the day was fantastic, we had some great conversations, played some cards and discreetly sipped our bottle of champagne we brought in. We did get jolted back to reality at one point when we were hiking back to our picnic spot. My two gay friends that are lovers, were holding hands and a group of 20 something year old boys drove by and yelled "Faggots." We didn't let it ruin our day, but it did bring up a good discussion on the social climate we are still living in and should we display affection for each other in public. I would like you, blogger friends, to leave some comments here on your thinking on public displays of affection in outdoor public settings. Have we made advancements in acceptance? Are the rowdy college age boys more the exception to the rule now? As I have said from the beginning, I want this blog and accompanying website to be about advice, and commentary, as well as humor and fun. So let's share with each other our feelings and what its like in YOUR home towns, and if you think it's okay for a gay couple to show PDA's.


As a side note, I read the paper this morning to find that President Bush, marked Earth Day with a 65 minute mountain bike ride through the redwood forest above San Francisco. He was quoted as saying, "I still ride the mountain bike primarily to settle the soul and to burn off the excess energy one gets when you are living life to the fullest." I am happy to know that the President is living life to the fullest while he publicly denounces me and my brothers and sisters from living our lives to the fullest by showing our love for each other in marriage, especially 90 miles north of one of our communities most populous cities. Something else to think about..............Have a great week...........GG

0 comments:

Blogger template 'CoolingFall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008